Friday, March 04, 2005

My most loathed condiment

This has bothered me for some time. Some people LOVE mayonnaise. They want to slather everything with it. They want to bathe in it. They want a fragrance that's mayonnaise-scented. They go to their happy place when smelling or tasting mayonnaise. Some people are weird. I would love nothing more than if mayonnaise did not exist, for the plain fact that I don't want it added to my food without me asking for it. I'm sick of it.

I don't understand why the restaurant standard is to put mayonnaise on every sandwich. I believe more people ask for it without, and most people I've polled (informally of course) have little preference - if it's on bread, they'll eat it, but if it's not, they won't. I feel like for a vast majority of people, mayonnaise is NOT a deal-breaker when it comes to enjoying a sandwich.

On the other hand, I have found that is IS, in fact, a deal-breaker for people who don't like it. If I am mistakenly served mayo, I will return the sandwich. If this happens with take-out and I'm already away from the restaurant, I won't eat it. It makes me physically ill. Say what you will about my aversion being psychosomatic, but I am sick to my stomach when I ingest mayo.

With obesity on the rise, why don't restaurants start making people request mayo? I'm sick of people just expecting that everyone wants a delicious glob of gross eggy-fatty stuff on their bread. Join the health conscious millennium!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When people get liposuction, what do they do with the fat? I've always suspected that it ended up in a wide mouth jar labelled "Best Foods"

Anonymous said...

Ick...my issue is not so much the condiment itself as it is the AMOUNT of it that people eat. Why does it need to be slathered on so thickly? Anyone who loves mayo should see Undercover Brother for reasons why they shouldn't eat it.

Anonymous said...

what the fuck is wrong with mayonnaise?