Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wowza

This hot, sticky, hazy morning, just as I got off the train at Bleecker St., my usual stop, an interesting sight took my mind off my mile-long walk to my office, in which I would sweat profusely, thanks to the 90% humidity and 80 degree weather.

At the corner of Houston and Broadway, the major intersection of Soho, on a nasty, dirty corner was a man cleaning up around the trashcan that he had just emptied. This was a city worker and not the purpose of my observation, but a key note to it: he was cleaning up the spillage from this nasty overflowing garbage can in the heart of one of the busiest intersections in Manhattan.

Not 2 feet away from him was this dude: He was wearing yellow rubber wading pants (wtf?), and was shirtless and shoeless. He looked blissful to be standing watching the cleaning guy sweep nasty bits of crud and lord knows what into his sweepy can, with liquid dribbling everywhere (coffee, water, juice, bodily fluids, etc.), a mere 2 feet from his bare soles.

No wonder I had a nightmare the other night about being barefoot with my feet encased in crud. I would have to take acid to the soles of my feet to ever feel clean enough after standing on that corner barefoot.

So my question: What do you think he was on?

2 comments:

cassiesq said...

Which one, the guy that had to sweep the nasty shit up or the barefoot guy. I think if I was the one cleaning I would have to be on something to not pass out. P.S. I feel for you with the heat, they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!

Anonymous said...

Whatever it is that he's on, I don't want any!! I prefer my feet clean (and attached), thank you very much.

I should watch what I wish for, but it's cold and cloudy here this week and I don't want it! Come on, sun - it's mid-July, for Pete's sake!