Friday, February 25, 2005

Sometimes I need reminding

That the reason I love NY is for the little things.

Last night, after wending my way through the tourist hell that is Times Square, I made it safely over to Hell's Kitchen where I met my friends for some jolly comraderie and imbibing prior to our scheduled appearance at the Broadway musical, "Spamalot." This is the new show based on Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" and is quite brilliant and hytserical. If you have a sense of humor at all, see it. Oh, and the lead characters are Tim Curry, Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce. The supporting cast is also superb.

Enough of that. As I walked with my friend to Grand Central in the lightly falling snow, it was one of those magical NY moments - like the scene in the lame-but-I-still-watch-it-when-it's-on movie "Serendipity" where the snow is swirling all around and there's a glove flying through the air and they're in Central park....anyway, a great night, nice fat snowflakes, quiet. NY is my favorite when it's captured in an isolated snow cocoon.

As we head into the station, my friend remembers that there is a squash tournament somewhere. We find it. Yep, bleachers and a glass-encased squash court are set up directly off the grand hall. I mean, where else can you:
1. See famous actors in a comic musical, then....
2. Walk through a winter wonderland and enjoy it's simplicty, then...
3. See a squash tournament in a train station on your way home.

And all before 10:30 PM on a Thursday.

Ah, NY. I need to be reminded - sometimes.

No comments: