Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sweet confidence

So back in the day, when I was a newbie to the big city, and used to rock out harder than in college (the basic difference being 4 bars in my college town vs. 4000 bars in Manhattan), I would get beer confidence and shout out "I'm the hottest girl in here!" My friends were amused, and it became my thing, quickly turning into a joke at my confident naivete. I would shout it out at all moments. Good times.

Well, last fall, I happened to be on tour with an author that took me to Baltimore, where my best good friend from college lives. I enjoy Baltimore. I think it's an underrated city with a good amount to offer - waterfront views, some great sporting venues (ahem, Camden Yards), amazing Bloody Mary's (they use Old Bay seasoning around the rim, so key), Crab Cakes, and their own little accent. It's a little bit country, a little bit city - they drop the TI in BalTImore, and simply call it Bal-M0re.

That's not the meat of my story, simply an aside. The real juice here, is that when I (practically soberly, I might add) said "I'm the hottest girl in here" to my friend while we were hanging in a fairly trendy bar in a trendy neighborhood, it was true. Never have I risen so above the clientele. I don't know if that's sad or awesome. Maybe a little of both. But let's say one thing that Baltimore is lacking is the ability to realize that skin-tight clothing and fat rolls is not, and will never be, a reason to claim you're the hottest girl in there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Heather! Can't say Bal-more's ever been my favorite, but it does have its redeeming qualities! Like, um... :) Hope you had fun!!