Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The quest for perfect nachos - Part 1

So this being the start of a new year, I felt it time to really hunker down and find the perfect nachos in Manhattan. I must admit, I'd slacked a bit - for lack of funds, for want of weight loss, for sheer laziness. But no more...I am taking my challenge to a whole new level of nachoness.

What prompted me to really take this on? Well, on Monday evening, after helping my boyfriend with a nearly insurmountable mound of laundry, we decided to treat ourselves to some grub. Our general fault with the upper west side (where he lives) is a lack of decent, cheap eats that aren't diner-fare. We decided to hit Firehouse, a bar/restaurant that I've visited several times in the past and have always had luck with (their quesadilla with mole sauce is quite good).

The nachos were near ideal. The layering was perfectly intact here - 2 very distinct separate layers of cheese, spread very evenly over the tri-color chips. A nice spread of salsa and sour cream on top as well, not plopped on either side of the mound. Although they did drop a notch because the salsa and sour cream layers were thin - so the lower cheesy layer was a bit dry.
But, I decided the next time that I would just order an extra side of salsa and I think that minor problem would be alleviated. I give Firehouse Nachos an 8 out of 10. They're at the top of my list so far. (http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7169111/)

I will also mention we had "Deep Dish Nachos" at Westside Brewing Co. last week - that was a first try and I was pretty impressed, although they spent a few extra minutes in the oven, because the top layer was a bit too crisp, with a little burn taste. However, the cheese again was nicely layered, although the glops of sour cream and guac on either side left something to be desired, and the bowl of thin salsa was not quite up to par (especially since the salsa should go on top, not to be dunked on the side). I give Westside Brewing Co. a 6.5. (http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7169123/)
To join other nacho fans, check out http://enjoynachos.com/ and http://www.nachosrule.com/


1 comment:

cassiesq said...

Beth, that is totally gross! I can't ever believe that you would do that!